Monday, May 30, 2005

bits and pieces

I like to collect phrases and good words! I stockpile these little treasures the way some people stock up on grocery store specials for toothpaste or canned soup. Wherever i go i have something to write with and something to write on!!! I also cut out inspiring articles - things that make me say 'wow' out loud! things that make me want to do similarly cool things. . . I like images -- if i see a print ad in a magazine with an interesting juxtaposition of word and visual image, i have to cut it out! I keep one such cut out on the front of my fridge. . its a picture of a couch with the words GET UP! emblazoned across the cushions. One of the most memorable ones i ever saw was a photo image of a butterfly shackled to an iron block. . .i think at times we've all felt like that! I know I have! I cut out this challenging one a while back. . . a coffee mug with the following wording: #1 Hypocrite woah. . . I cut it out to remind me that i have to be careful. There are so many resources out there. . so many messages that are being put out for us to read and heed. There's an overpass herein town on which the following grattifi message screams at passersby: You are NOT a machine! . . I wonder who wrote that and why? I appreciated the sentiment for sure. I read billboards when I drive or travel. . Rob and I saw one on our way to Ottawa. . . it said this: "The Traditions of Yesterday, the Trends of Tomorrow".. right away i thought of the Salvation Army. . and that thought that was a great thing for that organization to aspire to. Not cutting off its past, but not living in it either. . . banquet for thought. . .

I even save cool fortune cookie sayings, like this one: CHANGE IS THE WATCHWORD OF PROGRESSION. I love that. . . it fires my spirit when i read things like that. these bits and pieces are continually jumping out at me. . and i continue to collect them. . Life is cool. . dig in. don't miss the messages out there. . they're everywhere.




3 comments:

Tracy said...

I started collecting quotes a few years ago. I wonder what I've done with them....

Thanks for the reminder!

kathryn said...

cool, another word collector!!!

kathryn said...

yep that's the overpass i'm talking about. . those 'then and now' pictures in the paper are sooo interesting! You have such historic-mindedness! you would be a great one to work at the city archives, because you've read up on all the city's history. . you'd also be a great guide at one of those pioneer villages!