mmmm. . . i'm eating whole wheat toast with peanut butter!! chasing it down with chocolate milk!!! I've earned it. . . i danced for an hour, then endured the fluorescent nightmare that is WalMart!!! So, yes, I'm eating my supper now at 10:30 p.m.!!!! ahhh. . . It also took me 15 minutes to get through the check out, cuz I had picked 2 items that had no price tags!!! BAH! I cruised the messy, messy *tsk tsk to you WalMart staffers* Halloween aisle. . though admittedly people get very frenzied at special times of the year and go all crazy flinging stuff around. My little girl used to work for Old Navy. Her take on the customer crazy messiness is "People are pigs!" LOL!!! I'm digressing. . .AGAIN!
This little thingie tonight is about words and phrases that have outlived their usefulness, maybe never had any? anything that is annoying, perhaps lifted from its cultural context and its use elsewhere is just dorky. . that kind of deal. So, here goes. . . and this, by the by, is a reader participation dealie! So, get your thinking caps on and post your own selection of worn out, sorry, lame, irritating and generally tired words, sayings, slang. .
1. "catch ya later" * oh boy. .
2. Snoop Dog vocabulary *i have had up to izzle with the fizzle* I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT
I'M SUPPOSED TO HAVE SAID HERE! SO IF I SWORE, DON'T GET MAD!!! This guy's inscrutable. . .
3. 'dude' *gag
4. stoked *double gag
5. the improper use of the word 'so' -- 'Friends' went off the air everyone!!!
6. 'touch base' * i have these baseball images in my head whenever anyone says this!
7. Speaking of baseball. . can we get rid of "Hey batta batta, sssssWING batta!!!"???? BLECH!
8. "having said that" *really, really . . . grrrrr!!!
9. 'in terms of' *double grrrr. . . deep six this one!
10. 'on the flipside' ugh. .
11. 'blow me away' (dated, man)
12. 'on the same page' *picturing a business ledger here. .
13. 'boo yah'. . . i HATE that! It makes people sound like cave dwellers
14. 'hot' can't we go back to saying that women are beautiful and men are
handsome? This just sounds so smarmy. . .
15. 'rock my world'. . . cheese curds. . .
16. 'slammin'. . . that just sounds so violent to me YIKES!
17. 'like, you know'. . . maybe not every says this one. . but i have a neighbour who says
this entire phrase approximately every 20 seconds.
18. any use of the word 'candy' paired with body parts: eye, ear, arm -- tacky..
19. 'my bad'. . . the abuse of grammar!!! oh, poor grammar. . .
20. 'at the end of the day'. . . D'OH!!! (hey, maybe d'oh's another one for some ppl?)
Back to this #20 phrase. . . I absolutely cannot stand it. . it is SO overused. I cringe, and
furrow my brow when i hear this icky phrase.
Okay, now its your turn!!! I can't wait to hear what you guys come up with!
Hey, here's a wee bonus for you, two HILARIOUS phrases that I picked up in my travels. . .
"as confused as a baby in a topless bar"
"he thinks he's the dog's danglies"
heh heh. . . those make me LAUGH!